The California Journalism Summit: “Igniting Community Philanthropy” is an essential convening that highlights the transformative role community philanthropy is playing in supporting local journalism in California. The summit brings together over 175 community foundation staff, board members and donors, private foundation leaders, philanthropy support organizations, and innovative community news leaders to strategize and collaborate on sustaining local journalism through the Golden State’s 30+ regional community foundations.
This interactive dashboard provides a current snapshot of the growing number of local journalism projects and initiatives supported by community foundations across the State of California. The map and dashboard were developed by Mapping Black California, in partnership with the League of California Community Foundations and with grant support from the California Healthcare Foundation for spearheading and supporting this project.
In August 2022 the California Press Foundation joined Media in Color and the League of California Community Foundations to launch the new Community Foundation and Local Media Guidebook for California newsrooms and funders.
- Spotlight: Community Foundations and Local Journalism
- The State of Local News 2023 – Northwestern University
- Journalism and Democracy in Crisis: What Funders Need to Know
- How the Cleveland Foundation Is Backing Journalists and Community Members to Bolster Local News
- Community Foundations & Media: Funding Data from 2009-2021
- The local news crisis is deepening America’s divides
- How Philanthropy Can Save Local News – and Our Communities
- Pooled Journalism Funds Could Help Save Local Newspapers
- Healthy News & Information Ecosystem Impact Playbook
- Going All In: Amplifying Community Voice
- 5 Pieces of Good News About the News
- NewsMatch funding from local partners tops funds from national groups
- California Local News Fellowship
In August 2022 the California Press Foundation joined Media in Color and the League of California Community Foundations to preview the new Community Foundation and
Community foundations across California are part of a growing movement to revitalize the essential civic infrastructure of independent local news. Two decades of disruption within